One of the most difficult decorating tasks is the installation of a carpet, and the bedroom is no exception, especially since it is in this room that we seek the most warmth and comfort.
Choosing the right rug can be difficult because you need to take more than just your taste into account. You will have to consider other elements, such as the size of the room, the size of the bed or the brightness in the room.
In this article, the experts at Tapis André Viau, a carpet store in Montreal, explain the criteria to consider when buying the right carpet and the most popular options for installing a carpet in your room.
Why put a carpet in your bedroom?
The addition of a carpet is a great way to decorate a bedroom. To this, there are also some important advantages.
The advantages a carpet in a bedroom
- Heat – There is nothing worse than having your feet on a cold floor or tile in the morning. Putting a carpet in the room is the best way to say goodbye to this inconvenience.
- Comfort – Warmth and comfort are two things that tend to go hand in hand. Cold feet are not comfortable, but a plush rug certainly is. You can throw on your slippers if you choose a nice thick carpet for your room and smile when your feet hit the floor.
- Noise reduction – The other benefit of carpeting a bedroom is noise reduction. The thicker the carpet, the less sound will be transmitted from the bottom to the top. This is ideal for families.
- Style – A carpet brings a new aesthetic to any room, especially since there is no shortage of choice. But for it to be a success, it is necessary to consider different characteristics such as the colors of the wall, the curtains, the type of furniture, etc.
How to choose a bedroom rug
To choose the right carpet colour, you need to know some general rules.
As for the size of the carpet, it will depend on your tastes and the way you want to put it. In a room, there are 4 main options:
- Option 1 – You can first choose a rug that is larger than the bed and nightstands. If you like rugs and your room is spacious, this is a great option, as it creates a different atmosphere from the rest of the room.
- Option 2 – The 2nd option is to put your rug under the bed, but not including the bedside tables.
- Option 3 – The carpet down the bed on both sides is probably the most commonly used option. The minimum size for the footboard is said to be 90 x 60cm. Also take into account the size of your bedside table, it is not recommended that the mat be narrower than it.
- Option 4 – The one-sided drop rug is a rarer but trendy option. In this case, as shown in the image below, you can include the bedside table.
Finally, you have to choose a material. Natural or synthetic? It all depends on your budget and your maintenance capabilities. Shaggy rugs work really well in bedrooms.
Natural materials like wool are often more expensive, but they are particularly soft to the touch and last longer. If you don’t want to bother with regular carpet maintenance, synthetics are certainly a better option.
How big should a rug be in the bedroom
So there are many ways to install a carpet in a room. And in terms of colours and materials, you will easily find happiness.
But be mindful, you must carefully choose the size of your carpet. Make sure you don’t opt for a carpet that is too small or too big. If you choose to put a carpet under your bed, it must necessarily exceed the bed. And if the rug is too big, it may shrink the size of your room.
So before you make your choice, or before you go to the store, have in mind the dimensions of your bed. You can also take a picture of the room to get professional advice.
Need help from a specialist to choose the right carpet?
With so many options available, choosing the right carpet for your room is complicated. To make it easier for you, we recommend that you go to a specialized carpet store and get help from an expert. In addition to getting advice on the best materials and colours for your tastes, you will be able to touch the rugs.
If you live in the Greater Montreal area, please visit our boutique at 1333 Fleury Street East in Montreal. We will be happy to welcome you and help you choose the right carpet according to your taste and budget, whether it is for your bedroom or for another room.