Choosing a carpet can be tricky. A carpet or carpet is an important element of interior decoration that can completely change the ambiance and style of a room. At Tapis André Viau, we often offer detailed advice to customers who visit our Montreal carpet store.
We’ve put together a complete carpet buying guide to help you decide on the perfect carpet for any room. Learn how to choose the right colour, size, shape and style and find out how to select a carpet that will last a long time.
Ready to find the perfect carpet for your home?
Identify the type of carpet you need
It’s easy to get lost among the many choices available when buying a carpet. Clearly defining your needs is the best place to start.
So, grab a sheet of paper or create a note on your phone where you can address the following questions.
Where do you want to install a carpet?
Every individual room has qualities and requirements that will influence your choice of carpet. Whether you want to install a carpet in your living room or bedroom, you’re unlikely to choose the same carpet for each.
That’s why it’s important to begin by identifying and assessing the room where your carpet will be installed.
What size of carpet do you need?
Once you’ve decided where to install a carpet, it’s time to choose a size. The advantage of opting for a custom carpet is that you can adapt your carpet to your space. In fact, there are a number of fairly precise rules to follow when choosing the size and shape of a carpet.
We recommend that you leave some space around your carpet. Measure the area and choose a carpet that leaves 20 to 30 of space still in view to really dress up a room.
Most interior designers also follow this simple rule: the front legs of your sofa or couch should rest on the carpet.
- For a spacious room, choose a carpet measuring 10’x14′ or larger, depending on the layout of your furniture. Buying wall-to-wall carpet is another possibility.
- If your living room is smaller, you could place an 8’x10′ carpet directly under your coffee table. A round carpet might be a good choice here too.
- Buying a carpet for your bedroom? A 9’x12′ carpet will slide perfectly under a double bed, while a 5’x8′ carpet can fit comfortably along the edge of a twin bed.
- A 6’x9′ carpet is usually just right for a small apartment dining room, perfect for creating a symmetrical seating area when combined with a square or rectangular four-seat dining table.
What colour carpet should you choose?
After deciding on the location and size of your carpet, you’ll need to choose the right carpet colour.
Colours have a significant impact on our emotions, and therefore the mood and style of a room. Warm tones like red and orange invoke energy and passion, while cool tones like blue and green can induce feelings of calm and tranquility.
Remember to consider the existing style and decor of the room. Your carpet colour could either harmonize with the dominant tones or create an interesting visual contrast.
In interior design, there is a rule known as ‘60-30-10’ that describes how to divide the design elements within a space: 60% of your room should display the main theme. In general, this refers to large-scale elements such as carpets, a sofa or wallpaper.
Next, 30% of the room should contain elements that complement the main theme, for example on curtains or a chair.
Finally, the last 10% of your space should be reserved for eye-catching accents. Generally speaking, this refers to a cushion or a piece of artwork.
When choosing the colour of your carpet, don’t forget to consider the size and brightness of your room. Lighter colours can help to visually enlarge a space, while darker colours can create a feeling of warmth and intimacy.
Our advice is only a guide – remember to listen to your intuition and follow your personal taste. Our goal is to make you feel at home!
Pick a carpet style
There are many different styles of carpets to choose from. A carpet can evoke the timeless charm of traditional patterns, the bold simplicity of modern style, the exoticism of ethnic influences or a unique vintage vibe. Let’s look at how you can choose the right carpet style to suit your taste and create the ambience you’re craving.
Traditional or ethnic carpets
Traditional carpets can bring the authentic feel of rich cultural and historical heritage into your home. They are often handmade, giving each piece a unique artisanal value.
One of the distinctive advantages of traditional carpets is their durability. Thanks to meticulous manufacturing and the use of high-quality materials like wool, cotton or silk, these carpets are designed to stand the test of time. They can be handed down from generation to generation, making them true family heirlooms. What’s more, traditional carpets create a warm and welcoming ambience, bringing a touch of refinement and sophistication to your interior.
Oriental carpets are perhaps the most renowned of traditional carpets, a category that includes Persian, Moroccan, Indian and Berber creations.
Modern or contemporary carpets
Modern carpets are a good choice if you are taking a contemporary, trend-driven approach to interior design. They often include innovative designs and bold patterns, and can bring a fresh, modern feel to any space.
One of the advantages of modern carpets is their versatility. They are available in a number of colours, shapes and patterns, making them easily adaptable to different decorating styles.
Shag carpets, also known as long-staple carpets, are a popular example. Their long, thick fibres give a soft, plush feel underfoot. A shag carpet will add luxurious texture to your space and can create a warm, comfortable ambience.
Other examples of modern carpet designs include geometric patterns, art prints, 3D effects, contemporary floral patterns, and more. Modern carpets bring a trendy aesthetic to your space and add dynamism and personality.
Vintage carpets add a historical flavour and character to your home. Antique pieces that have survived the decades and retained their authentic charm are sure to add a unique dimension to your decor.
Vintage carpets boast patina and other marks of time. Often, their colours have mellowed, giving them a soft, timeless aesthetic. Add to this that they are usually handmade using traditional artisan techniques.
Retro carpets are perfect for anyone looking for an eco-friendly, sustainable alternative. By opting for this type of floor covering, you can reduce your carbon footprint and still give new life to a room.
Choose the right carpet material
When selecting carpet material, consider how it will be used and maintained.
Deciding between natural and synthetic fibers
Carpets made from natural and synthetic fibers have different functions and characteristics.
Carpets made from natural fibres look genuine, have rich texture and offer superior durability.
Synthetic carpets, on the other hand, are well-known to be stain-resistant, easy to maintain and available in a wide variety of styles and colours. Being more resistant to wear, they are a good choice for high-traffic areas.
Choosing the right type of carpet for your space will depend on your aesthetic preferences, your practical needs and how much work you are willing to devote to maintenance.
Natural fiber carpets offer a luxurious feel and warm aesthetic to any interior. Points to consider:
- Wool: Wool carpets are prized for their warmth and decorative appeal, especially in a nursery. Their fibers are hypoallergenic, stain-resistant and unlikely to catch fire. Wool carpets tend to be more expensive than their synthetic counterparts.
- Cotton: Cotton carpets are comfortable and easy to clean. They are perfect for nurseries, bathrooms and closets. They move easily, but since they are slippery, can also pose a certain risk for children. Remember to place an anti-slip pad underneath each carpet.
- Silk: Often synonymous with elegance and refinement, the smooth, silky texture of silk creates a luxurious ambience, and its natural sheen will add some shine to your space.
Synthetic carpets are more affordable and durable, an excellent choice for outdoor carpeting. There are several types of synthetic carpets available on the market:
- Acrylic: Acrylic carpets often imitate wool, offering a similar texture at a more affordable price. Acrylic carpets are stain-resistant, easy to care for and retain their colour well.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene carpets are resistant to stains, wear and fading, which makes them an ideal choice for high-traffic areas and outdoor spaces.
- Polyester: This soft, durable synthetic fiber comes in a wide variety of colours and textures. Polyester carpets are easy to clean and stain-resistant.
- Nylon: Nylon is a tough synthetic fiber, known to be durable and last a long time. Nylon carpets are ideal for high-traffic areas and can withstand intensive use without showing signs of wear.
The more you know about each type of carpet material, the better you will be able to make an informed choice to suit your needs, lifestyle and budget.
Select the right carpet pile height
Long pile (also called high pile) carpets are soft and bring a room comfort and warmth. However, there are both pros and cons to consider: they can become real dust traps unless they are cleaned at least once a week. It is also harder to remove stains from a long pile carpet.
If you opt for a long pile carpet, we recommend placing it in a low-traffic area. A cozy long pile carpet is ideal for the corner of a living room.
Finally, if you have children or don’t have time for frequent cleaning, you will likely be better off with a short-pile carpet. Always consider what you will need to do to maintain a carpet before making your selection.
Verify that the carpet is high quality
Finally, make sure the carpet you have chosen is of good quality. To do this, note the following:
- Type of carpet fibers
- Carpet density and weight. In general, a denser, heavier carpet will be more resistant to wear, but also more expensive.
- Carpet treatments. Some carpets are treated with special products to offer extra protection against stains or moisture, which can be a real advantage for high-traffic areas or in homes with children or pets. Verify of these options are available for the carpet you would like.
- Carpet padding. Carpet underlay can impact walking comfort, sound insulation, and carpet longevity. Choose a high-quality carpet underlay to improve overall feel and extend carpet lifespan.
Visit Tapis André Viau to choose the right carpet
You should now be ready to select the type of carpet to suit your style, taste and practical needs. It’s time to start shopping!
If you would like further advice on buying the right carpet or carpet, stop by our boutique at 1333, rue Fleury Est in Montreal. We’ll be happy to advise you according to your taste, budget and room.